Pages

Subscribe:

Friday, May 13, 2011

Halestorm

So, I mentioned when I started this blog that I might veer off the indie music path and mention bands that are signed but still have that indie spirit. Halestorm fits that description perfectly. Halestorm started off with very definite indie roots, just Lzzy Hale and her brother Arejay way back in 1998 and they've paid their dues. I felt I needed to make a blog post about them because of the impact they've made in my life.

I didn't know about them until I saw their video for "I Get Off" (from their 2009 self-titled album) on TV, and I knew I was hooked. I'm a sucker for female rock vocals, and Lzzy has the best I've ever heard. It's not just about Lzzy tho. After seeing them live during their 2010 headlining tour, I got to meet all of the band, and they're amazing people. Halestorm, more than any other band I've seen, really cares about their fans. I've seen them go to enormous lengths to let people have a chance to meet them. They've even recently signed nearly ALL their tour merchandise at some recent dates, because the venue couldn't handle the crowd they'd generate for in-person signing, and even at that, they took the time after the show to hang with their fans. That's dedication, and one of the reasons I love them

They also have an active presence on Twitter and it's not uncommon to see various members of the band joking with fans, or giving them advice. Lzzy has been gracious enough to throw some advice my way, and is greatly responsible for giving me the confidence boost to start this blog.

Now about the music. Their debut album is still one of the finest rock albums I've ever heard. Some albums have tracks that are filler, but every song on this album is a winner. Since then, they've also released a live CD/DVD album "Live In Philly" which, if you haven't been able to catch a live show, is a great example of how amazing they are live. Their latest release is an EP called "ReAnimate: The Covers" and as the title implies, is a selection of cover songs from bands as diverse as Heart, Lady Gaga and Temple Of The Dog, and they do them all justice.


They're currently still on tour for a few more dates and if they're playing near you, please check them out, you won't regret it. They've also started work on their latest full-length album, which I'm very excited for.

Yes, I know this wound up being a giant love letter to Halestorm, but this is my blog, and I don't care :) Lzzy, Arejay, Joe, Josh - I love and respect you guys more than you'll ever know. Keep being awesome.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment