Pages

Subscribe:

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Fools For Rowan


Like a couple other artists I've blogged about, I did post about Fools For Rowan back on my old Tumblr, but I think it's time to revisit them.

I found out about FFR from some fellow Halestorm fans, and I can understand why there is quite a bit of overlap between the fans, both bands are truly excellent rock bands, with strong female vocalists. That said, there are some definite stylistic differences that I'll get to in a moment.

First the facts -  Fools For Rowan are:

Erin Mullins - Lead singer
Aaron Elliott - Bass guitar
Jordan Cullen - Drummer
Rachel Brandsness - Lead guitar
Ryan Nanney - Rhythm guitar

So, what can I say about them that doesn't make me sound like a gushing fanboy....very little I think. :)


I've honestly been a fan since the very first time I heard 'Burnt Around The Edges". FFR has a rock sound that is all their own. I really don't want to compare them to other bands, but at the risk of having my Halestorm friends attacking me (I kid, I kid) I actually like their sound more than Halestorm sometimes. They've got a more laid-back sound, not to say they can't rock, but they don't have the hard edge that Halestorm has, and sometimes that's just what I'm in the mood for.

Erin's voice is absolutely gorgeous, hopefully this doesn't sound too corny, but it's like a velvet covered hammer. One minute it's smooth and comfortable and then it hits and knocks you out. FFR also...well, for lack of a better term, is playful at times, a good example of this is "It's Alright" which is a sweet bit of pop/rock that will have you nodding your head along with the music.
They can get serious though, "Dead" is a break-up song to end all break-up songs. It's sadly beautiful, and devastating. Anyone who has been through the death of a relationship will completely understand whats being said.
The rest of the band is equally as amazing as Erin. Rachel's guitar work is impeccable, as is the musicianship of Arron, Ryan and Jordan.


They released their current album "Twisted, Tied Up, Tangled" last year and for a limited time, it's available for free for just signing up for their email list - HERE so no excuse for not giving them a listen.

They're about to go in to the studio to work on their next EP, and I'm really excited to hear more music from them. From the videos I've seen, they put on an amazing live show, and they do tour fairly often so if they're playing near you, go see them! Unfortunately, they won't be in my neck of the woods (Oregon) until next year, but it will be worth the wait.

Fools For Rowan links - Website Facebook Twitter YouTube

No comments:

Post a Comment