Pages

Subscribe:

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Debbie Gibson


So, yeah, Debbie Gibson isn't exactly an obscure or unknown artist, but I think oftentimes she's overlooked. During a discussion about her I had with a friend of mine, she mentioned she had "all her albums" and I discovered that she actually had never heard of any of her releases since her first three.
It was a bit of a surprise when I mentioned that she actually has had SEVEN more studio releases since her debut album "Out Of The Blue" (1987). This to me, is a tragedy. Debbie has run the gamut from pop, to Broadway to dance and she's produced a body of work that any artist would be proud to claim.

She's been an inspiration for me for years, she may have started as a signed artist but she was dropped from her label, Atlantic Records, after 1993's "Body Mind Soul" and she's been an independent artist ever since, with the exception of her recent Sony Japan album "Ms. Vocalist"
In all this time, she has never given up her dreams, even when a fickle public didn't pay attention.

Currently she is touring with fellow 80s artist Tiffany and if they're playing near you, you should be sure to check them out!

If you're curious at all about her "unknown" releases. They're available on iTunes and are honestly some of the finest pop albums I've ever heard (yes I'm biased, but this is my blog and I'm entitled)

On the off chance Deb actually sees this blog, I'd like to say something, and it's from the heart.

Dear Deborah,
I've followed you from the beginning, your music has been the soundtrack of my life, and I really don't have the words to express how much respect I have for you and how much your music means to me. I will always be a fan, and one of my greatest wishes is to actually be able to say this to you in person, but for now, this will have to do.
Love and respect, always.
Jim

Please check out Debbie's official site Twitter Facebook and iTunes (Deborah) iTunes (Debbie)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jim, I am right there with you. I've been a fan since I heard the very first notes... and I DO have all of her albums... except for the "Ms. Vocalist" album which I haven't found yet.

Great article.

Shannon said...

I agree. I don't think I have all of her records, but I have a lot of the ones that came after the first 3. Some of those have songs that are my favorites of hers. I think I have always been a fan because she is my age and it was fun as a teen to see other teens on the charts making music. It wasn't like it is today with them flooding the place. Deborah is definitely underrated by people who haven't taken the time to really listen to her music.

Anonymous said...

It's funny, because after seeing the show in Westbury Friday night I had the same reaction. I've followed Debbie for years, so know how much great stuff she has out there, but it really bothers me that most people don't even know it exists. I didn't follow Tiffany as closely, but after seeing her I felt the need to look up what she'd done and was blown away over the quality of some of her songs from the past twenty years. Again, it just seems such a shame that most people don't know it even exists.

It's funny, because whenever someone posts their videos on YouTube, the comments are inevitably filled with people who think they're new artists, and amazing.

Post a Comment