Pages

Subscribe:

Friday, September 2, 2011

Lights - from Feburary Air to Siberia


I was planning on waiting to write about Lights until after her new album "Siberia" launched next month (Oct. 4) but one thing I'm starting to learn about writing, what you need to write about isn't always what you want to write about, and inspiration doesn't happen on a schedule.

Since tonight was the Canadian debut of her latest music video for "Toes" I guess now is as good a time as any to write this. I'll follow up with a review and impressions of "Siberia" when it's in my hands.

I've been following Lights ever since I saw the video for "Drive My Soul" on MySpace back in January 2009 and was immediately taken by not only her vocal and songwriting talents, but by her imagination as well. I didn't get involved with her fan community until around August of that year, when I knew she had a show in my city coming up and I wanted some advice about a token gift to give her in appreciation.

...and that's how my life changed.

I got to know her fans, and to this day I count some of them amongst my closest friends, even though I haven't had the pleasure of meeting many of them in person. We're all very different people, different ages, from different countries, but bound by the love of a very special young woman.

Lights, I've watched you grow enormously as an singer, a songwriter and as a person. I've seen you become more confident at every show I've been to. You've got so much talent, drive and determination. and I know that you are going to go as far as you want to in your career.

I'm so proud of you, and I haven't even heard more than two songs off the new album, because I *know* it's going to be incredible. It has to be because it's the product of your mind and heart, and I know you're brilliant and have the biggest, most generous heart I've ever known.

Thank you, for the friends, the inspiration, the courage, for changing my life for the better. For giving me faith in people when I just had cynicism, for helping me to remember the good in the world, and how that the bad stuff really doesn't matter in the long run. Thank you for all the good times in the past and the amazing times to come.

Most importantly, thank you for being you.

Can't wait to for the album and the tour. It's going to be amazing!!!

So, now that I've embarrassed myself enough, here are some links to check out.

Lights on Twitter Facebook YouTube and her Official Site

P.S. I hope I'm forgiven for not waiting for the US release of "Toes" - I'll admit to being weak :)


No comments:

Post a Comment