Pages

Subscribe:

Thursday, September 27, 2012

An interview with...Kelly Sweet!



Following up on my review of her amazing album "Ashes Of My Paradise", Kelly Sweet was kind enough to take the time to answer a few questions for us.

For my readers who might not be familiar with you, could you tell us a little about yourself and your music?

Well, my name is Kelly Sweet and I like to think of myself as a poet/singer. If you want to know me, read my lyrics. Every song on my record Ashes of My Paradise is a side of myself... I've been singing since I can remember, and I don't remember a time when music wasn't intensely a part of my life. :)

Your new album “Ashes Of My Paradise” has recently been released in Japan. What are your feelings about it finally getting a release?

I am thrilled! It has been years now since I even began the record, and several since I've released anything. I am beyond happy to finally share this music I have spent countless hours on with all my fans. They have patiently waited all this time!

A follow-up to that, I understand you're still trying to find ways to get the album into the hands of your other fans around the world, any news on that?

No official news yet on that. My team and I are working very hard every day on finding a way to get it released here in the US, and the rest of the world will hopefully follow. 

What are your tour plans? I understand you're going to Japan, excited? Any possibility of US dates? (selfishly hoping for Portland someday) 

Yes, I am making plans to tour in Japan, either in the end of this year or early next. the record is doing well there, and I am so excited to perform this record live! I’ll be playing a few shows in Los Angeles before I leave for Japan, and then probably next year, fingers crossed I will tour the US once there is release date for the record here!

All the songs on your new album are amazing, but which ones are your favorites and/or mean the most to you?

Every song is a side of myself and has multiple meanings for me. If you want to know me, look to my lyrics, this is how I see the world, how I think. Some moments I am the woman warrior in Black Gun Parade, fighting a war in her own head, battling the opposing forces of joy and fear and living through both simultaneously. Other moments
I am the goddess in My Amazing Grace, falling in love, seeing the beauty in
everything, and the fear simply drops away. And other moments still, I am
still a child, a daughter, like in Why (Nothing Else Matters), You and I,
and Pictures and Numbers going through the process of saying goodbye to her parents, her guides and mentors, learning to stand alone. I can't really choose my favorite! They are all me!

Where does your inspiration come from? Any tips for struggling songwriters?

Life, and the way I see it. My view of the world around me, and everything
in it! Also, I sort of get into “modes”. When I know I must begin writing for a record, my mind begins to explore and find the “theme” of the record. Sometimes one will just happen upon me. Sometimes, the theme is only apparent after writing several songs that I know will go on the record. Then, this theme is what inspires me! I can see the many sides of the story, or theme and I want to write them all! 
For struggling songwriters, I would say, don’t call yourself “struggling” first of all. Call yourself a songwriter, whatever stage you are at. We’re all still learning. And secondly, worry and work only on your craft. Study other songs, many different types of songs, and study every part of them, melody, chord, production, sounds, lyrics, harmonics, etc. Be honest to yourself before you push your songs out into the world. Are they ready? And once your answer is yes, let them go. You can always write another. You will only get better with practice and time.

The style of music on “Ashes Of My Paradise” is a lot different than your earlier music, what has been the fan reaction to then change?

So far, it has been overwhelmingly positive, which I am thrilled about! I adore my own record, but of course, I made it! It is my child! And to watch so many of my fans rave about it and hear and enjoy the nuances that I carefully crafted, brings me so much joy!

What music do you normally listen to? Anyone new we should check out?

Right now, I am in love with an artist named Fink. His records both Perfect Darkness and Distance and Time are amazing. A few new artists that I’m liking are Chelsea Lankes and Frank + Derol. Also, loving Stateless, especially the song Bloodstream. Their record came out a few years ago, but I’ve just discovered it. Robyn, of course. Love it. And who doesn’t love the following UK girls: Ellie Goulding, Marina and the Diamonds, etc.!

If you had your pick of tourmates, what bands/singers would you select?

Robyn!! Or Metric, Dragonette, Bat For Lashes, The xx, Lykke Li...

Just had a personal request from my wife :) “What does “Glass Made Man” mean?”

Haha! Glass Made Man is about a man...A beautiful man I could see all the good in, even in the few moments it appeared. I could see he wanted to be vulnerable, to fall in love, but it was like he was frozen from previous heartbreak. He just teetered on the edge of love with me. Neither in it, or out of it. I could see all of this happening, and all I could do was wait, and try to melt his frozen heart with my own warmth. 

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions Kelly!!

Be sure to check out Kelly on Twitter, Facebook and on the newly revamped Kelly-Sweet.com
 
If you're not in Japan and curious about how to get her album, it is available for import from Amazon or you can see my previous post about how to purchase it from iTunes Japan.

No comments:

Post a Comment